Man Faces Two Counts of Aggravated Domestic Assault

by Doug McClure

HARDWICK – Righley Jones, 20, has been charged with two counts of Assault-Aggravated Domestic-First Degree With a Weapon. Jones is also charged with a misdemeanor count of Unlawful Mischief $250 or less and Disorderly Conduct.

The felony charges each can carry a penalty of imprisonment for up to fifteen years, fines up to $25,000, or both. The Unlawful Mischief charge carries a penalty of up to six months’ imprisonment or a fine of up to $500, or both, and the disorderly conduct charge up to 60 days’ imprisonment or a fine of up to $500, or both.

The charges stem from an incident on November 13 at Lamoille Valley Ford. Police say Jones “had threatened two people with a knife, and had also damaged a vehicle.” When Hardwick Police Officer Zach Willey and Sergeant Darin Barber arrived at the scene late that morning, they say they found Jones had been subdued to the ground by one of his alleged victims and employees of Lamoille Valley Ford. Willey said that he “immediately placed Jones in handcuffs as he was still actively resisting.”

According to police and witnesses, Jones was with one of the alleged victims in their vehicle “with the intention of looking at a car for Jones, when Jones became agitated and started acting out violently.” At that point, the alleged victim told police “Jones exited the vehicle and began yelling [at the person] who was trying to calm him down.” They phoned their spouse to assist, and that person also tried to calm Jones down.

Police say then “Jones began stabbing the seat and tire. He then charged towards [them] with a knife.” Jones allegedly also “stabbed the windshield several times.” One victim “was able to control Jones and place him on the ground … Jones began having a seizure and as [the alleged victim] was holding his head he tried to bite [them].”

According to Sgt. Barber, Jones had lived with the alleged victims previously. Sgt. Barber elaborated “incidents at the residence have led to Righley [Jones] living elsewhere, and [Jones] is currently homeless. [The alleged victim] advised that they had bought a camper for him to live in on their property, however it is not yet ready to move in. [One alleged victim] stated that he did not think Righley [Jones] moving into the camper was now going to be an option.”

Officer Willey stated that Jones was transported to a holding cell at the Hardwick Police Department. Jones pleaded not guilty at his arraignment. According to the Vermont Department of Corrections, Jones remains housed at the Northern State Correctional Facility pending release to a responsible adult.